From: Mike McDonald
Subject: "Pipes" in CL?
  Does anyone know how to create in Common Lisp
the equivilant to a Unix pipe? I need to create
a stream that READ can use but I don't have all
of the text when creating the stream, so things
like MAKE-STRING-INPUT-STREAM won't do. I'm using
Allegro Common Lisp, so if anyone knows of an
internal function, that would be fine.

  Mike McDonald

  ···@trantor.harris-atd.com
  ··········@trantor.harris-atd.com
  (407) 727-5060

  Advanced Technology Dept.
  Harris Corp.
  M.S. 3A-1912
  P.O. Box 37
  Melbourne, Florida
             32902
From: Paul Snively
Subject: Re: "Pipes" in CL?
In article <····@trantor.harris-atd.com> ···@trantor.harris-atd.com (Mike
McDonald) writes:
>   Does anyone know how to create in Common Lisp
> the equivilant to a Unix pipe? I need to create
> a stream that READ can use but I don't have all
> of the text when creating the stream, so things
> like MAKE-STRING-INPUT-STREAM won't do. I'm using
> Allegro Common Lisp, so if anyone knows of an
> internal function, that would be fine.
>

>   Mike McDonald

I don't think that you gave quite enough information, Mike.  For example,
using Allegro Common Lisp on the Macintosh, I can do what you ask quite
easily, because streams are objects within the Object Lisp system, and all
that I have to do to create a new kind of stream is subclass *STREAM* and
provide a few methods, which can do their thing "lazily," if needs be.
Other versions of Allegro Common Lisp may or may not support this (for
example, I do not know whether any of the UNIX Allegros running Franz's
Flavors allow this kind of stream definition or not).

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.
C++ -- The language in which only friends can access your private members.