From: Frank Malczewski
Subject: CLtL, 2nd edition
Would someone please post some information with respect to how the revised
CLtL fits into the general Common Lisp scheme of things?  E.g., does it reflect
the ANSI CL?  Do any current CL implementations follow the revisions/clarifications
in the new CLtL?  [, does MACL 1.3 follow this revision, or is that
going to wait for 2.0?]
--

  -- Frank Malczewski		(········@girtab.usc.edu)

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: CLtL, 2nd edition
In article <····@merlin.usc.edu> ········@girtab.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes:
>Would someone please post some information with respect to how the revised
>CLtL fits into the general Common Lisp scheme of things?  E.g., does it reflect
>the ANSI CL?  Do any current CL implementations follow the revisions/clarifications
>in the new CLtL?  [, does MACL 1.3 follow this revision, or is that
>going to wait for 2.0?]

The only changes to the original text in CLtL2 will be to fix typos, bad
grammar, and obvious technical errors.  The work of the ANSI CL committee
is reflected in set-off sections that describe how a feature would be
changed by adoption of an X3J13 proposal.  There are also new chapters
describing the new, large features being added to the language (the
condition system, full-featured LOOP, and a brief description of CLOS
(referring the reader to Sonya Keene's book for more info)).  There will
also be an appendix about Dick Waters's Sequence Expression facility, which
is not being adopted at this time.
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

······@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar
From: Eliot Handelman
In article <·····@news.Think.COM> ······@leander.think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
;changed by adoption of an X3J13 proposal.  There are also new chapters
;describing the new, large features being added to the language (the
;condition system,

What is the condition system?

;full-featured LOOP,

Will this differ from the MIT Loop macro?
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·····@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> ·····@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) writes:
>In article <·····@news.Think.COM> ······@leander.think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
;the condition system,
>What is the condition system?

Macros and functions for signalling and handling errors and other
unexpected situations.  It's patterned after the Symbolics condition
handling system, but the names and syntax of many operators and conditions
have been changed.

>;full-featured LOOP,
>Will this differ from the MIT Loop macro?

It's mostly the same.  A few features have been added (such as the OF-TYPE
preposition for declaring types using Common Lisp type specificiers), some
descriptions have been clarified, and a few obscure features have not been
included.  We also didn't include the facilities for writing user-defined
LOOP paths (DEFLOOP and DEFINE-LOOP-PATH).  Most of the features that were
removed or clarified already differed between various LOOP implementations;
most portable uses of LOOP should port to the ANSI version.

From: Lou Steinberg
Is the 2nd edition of CLtL available yet?  Any idea when it will be?

Thanks.
--
					Lou Steinberg

uucp:   {pretty much any major site}!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!lou
arpa:   ···@cs.rutgers.edu
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·························@bearcat.rutgers.edu> ···@bearcat.rutgers.edu (Lou Steinberg) writes:
>Is the 2nd edition of CLtL available yet?  Any idea when it will be?

It's at the publisher now.  Probably available in a month or so.