From: Mabry Tyson
Subject: Faster Symbolics available now
In article <·····@sri-unix.SRI.COM>, I wrote:

>My opinion is that Symbolics is hurting themselves by effectively
>blocking the second-hand market for their equipment.  When potential
>purchasers are faced with their only option being to purchase expensive
>new equipment, then they are further encouraged to turn to other
>vendors.  Sometimes we purchasers can afford the latest, best equipment
>and sometimes we have to settle for second best (whether it be a used
>Symbolics or another vendor's).

Finally, Symbolics is coming out with a faster machine.  As announced
today, they've improved their Ivory chip (1.2microns vs 1.6microns,
135ns vs 240ns clock, 45ns vs 70ns SRam) so that they report the
MacIvory model II runs 75% faster on the Gabriel benchmarks compared to
the MacIvory model I.  Presumably the XL400 will also be sped up with
this new version of the chip.  The upgrade price (discounted thru 6/30)
seems reasonable to me.

Now the used Symbolics machines are less powerful than the newest ones.

From: Ronald A. Fischer
Subject: Re: Faster Symbolics available now
I heartily agree with Lou Steinberg of Rutgers on the issue of a small
company like Symbolics playing hardware catchup against Intel,
Motorola or the SPARC alliance.

> {proprietary hw or sw}

Xerox tried the low cost variant on this strategy with their 1108,
1109 and finally the 1186 Lisp worksations.  Their price to
performance ratio (at introduction) was excellent.  The software was
ported to the SUN atop a bytecode emulator and started selling better
than ever before.

LMI are out of business, after focussing on the commercial sector a
bit more than Symbolics.  The approach was similar, specialized
hardware and sell the advantage of a rich authoring environment.

TI was almost giving its Explorer boards away.  After losses for two
years they've downsized their group significantly.

There was that little startup down in LA.  I think they got as far as
printing glossy brochures...

Others?

With all of the failures surrounding this sort of strategy it is
suprizing to see no change of direction for Symbolics.

(ron)
From: Steve_Ritacco
That little start up in LA is doing quite well as I understand it.
They are called Integrated Inference Machines and seem to be catering
to the military market.