From: Brad Miller
Subject: Re: Tired C programmer (Really configuration files)
    Date: 1 May 89 04:50:16 GMT
    From: ·······@studguppy.lanl.gov (Doug Roberts)

    In article <······················@cs.rochester.edu> ······@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller) writes:

       Actually, I'd say it's more sophisticated: the lispms employ "transparent
       networking" which is considerably more efficient than UNIX. editing/copying
       a file on the lispm, e.g. from the INTERNET is (for the user) the same as
       editing copying locally. You don't run FTP, then copy the file, then edit
       it... and that's a trivial example.

    You don't have to do it that way on a Unix system. Simply mount the
    external file system. (And it's a _lot_ faster than the Symbolics'
    (ILA)NFS software).

Iff both systems run NFS; the Symbolics way you can easily run multiple
protocols to supply FILE service. Thus, TCP-FTP, TFTP, NFS, CHAOS-FILE, DNA
are all "the same". Object oriented programming at work. How do you "mount",
say, SIMTEL20.ARPA (and why would they let you..)

(ILA)NFS, btw, is a lot faster if you don't mount your LMFS on too many
machines; I've found it to be quite reasonable if it's mounted by, say, 3-4
UNIX boxes (fast as FTP or better) and unusable if mounted by 50.

----
Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.
······@cs.rochester.edu {...allegra!rochester!miller}