From: ······@p.cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: package question
In Common Lisp, what is the best way to refer to symbols
in a package which does not exist at load-time?

From: Perry Alexander
Subject: Re: package question
In article <········@p.cs.uiuc.edu> ······@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>In Common Lisp, what is the best way to refer to symbols
>in a package which does not exist at load-time?

I don't think that this is legal.  Under VAXLisp, to refer to a symbol in
an external package requires the external package to exist at load time.

- Perry
(·········@tisl.af.mil)
From: Barry Margolin
In article <········@p.cs.uiuc.edu> ······@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>In Common Lisp, what is the best way to refer to symbols
>in a package which does not exist at load-time?

(find-symbol "symbol-name" "package-name")

For instance, if you want to call the function PACKAGE::NAME, you can do:

(funcall (find-symbol "name" "package") args...)

If you want to access it as a variable, you can do:

(symbol-value (find-symbol "name" "package"))

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

······@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar
From: Sandra J Loosemore
In article <·····@think.UUCP> ······@wotan.think.com.UUCP (Barry Margolin)
writes:

>(find-symbol "symbol-name" "package-name")

This is almost correct.  Some Common Lisp implementations (notably,
HPCL-I) require the "package" argument to FIND-SYMBOL to be a package
and won't accept a package name.  If you really want to be portable,
say

(find-symbol "symbol-name" (find-package "package-name"))

-Sandra Loosemore (······@cs.utah.edu)