From: Roy Smith
Subject: Need documentation for KCL
	I just got KCL up and running, but I'm having a hard time with the
documentation.  It's all in KROFF, but I don't know how to print it.  Is
KROFF part of the KCL package hidden someplace where I can't find it?  If
not, how do I go about getting it?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- ···@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

From: Douglas Clark
Subject: Re: Need documentation for KCL
In article <····@phri.UUCP> ···@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	I just got KCL up and running, but I'm having a hard time with the
>documentation.  It's all in KROFF, but I don't know how to print it.  Is
>KROFF part of the KCL package hidden someplace where I can't find it?  If
>not, how do I go about getting it?
>--
>Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute
>455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
>{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- ···@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
>"The connector is the network"

Me too.
--
Douglas Clark                                   Voice : +44 225 826039
User Services,                            JANET : ·······@uk.ac.bath.gdr
From: Roy Smith
In article <····@phri.UUCP> ···@phri.UUCP (that's me) writes:
> 	I just got KCL up and running, but I'm having a hard time with the
> documentation.  It's all in KROFF, but I don't know how to print it.

	Several people turned me on to rascal.ics.utexas.edu, from which
you can ftp all sorts of kcl related stuff, including the report in TeX
format (but not, as I was originally told, in PostScript).  They also have
AKCL, and improved version of KCL, which I havn't sampled.  Peter Lucas
<·····@cwi.nl> agreed to put a PostScript version up on cli.com, which I
retrieved.  I've also made it available for ftp from here for other people.
Get file pub/kcl-report.PS.Z from goober.phri.nyu.edu.

	Just for the record, I'm not a real lisp hacker.  I've fooled
around with lisp a few times, with different implementations over the
years.  First, in 1976 on a TOPS-10 system, then a few years later using
some lisp of unknown origin on a v6 Unix system, a few years ago on a
TOPS-20, and more recently, Franz on a vax.  Now I'm playing with KCL on a
sun.  Maybe it's just that I'm getting better at it, but my distinct
impression is that KCL (I guess that means Common Lisp in general) is far
superior to the other lisps I've used.  The range of data structures
available is wonderful, not to mention the standard printf-style output
available using format.  And, the documentation, in the way of Steele's
book, is much better than I've seen with any other lisp I've used.