From: S. Mujica
Subject: remote evaluation
Has anybody written a "remote evaluation" package for Common Lisp?

thanks,

Sergio Mujica		······@cs.ucla.edu
Computer Science Department, UCLA
From: Zany Cornetto
Subject: Re: remote evaluation
I am not familiar with the term  "remote evaluation".

Do you mean,  one lisp  causing   the evaluation of   an expression in
another Lisp?  We  have implemented a  fasl stream based communication
facility that enables several lisps to communicate  over sockets.  The
mechanism makes remote evaluate simple.

In  our  Lisp  system    each  Unix Lisp    process  can have multiple
lightweight   processes.   As  part    of  a research project  (ESPRIT
Chameleon) we  have implemented a facility  known as  Dynamic Software
Migration, to move a running  lightweight PROCESS  from one Lisp image
to another.  This involves turning the state of the process (the stack
etc)   into  a  Lisp datastructure   (reification),  moving  the  data
structure to the target Lisp system, and turning the data back  into a
running  process (reflection).    This works  for  both  compiled  and
interpreted code.

Some example applications we have built using this facility are:

- An agenda program that migrates round a network interacting with
users arranging meetings.

- An air traffic control simulation where each plane is represented as
a lightweight process and each air traffic control  area as a separate
lisp system.  As  a  plane moves from one  control area to another  it
changes machines.

I hope this has something to do with your meaning of remote execution.
--

chris richardson