From: Rajeev Pandey
Subject: Let and Gensym question
  I have this problem that I encountered while using Kyoto Common Lisp. If I
  try to use a let and a gensym together like:

	(defun whatever ()
	   (let ((var (gensym)))
		:
		:

 I get an error (function var is unbound). I do the same thing in Tek Common
 Lisp, or Franz Lisp, and I have no problems.........

 Could someone please post some way to do this without going to real ugly code
 in KCL ? (Am I doing something wrong?)

					Thanx much,
--------
Dept. of Computer Science      |      Rajeev "Raju" Pandey
Computer Science Bldg. 100     |
Oregon State University        |      Internet: ·······@cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, OR  97331-3902      |      UUCP:     tektronix!orstcs!rpandey
(503) 754-3273    U.S.A.       |      UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!rpandey

--------

From: Jeff Dalton
Subject: Re: Let and Gensym question
In article <·····@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ·······@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Rajeev Pandey) writes:

>  I have this problem that I encountered while using Kyoto Common Lisp. If I
>  try to use a let and a gensym together like:
>
>	(defun whatever ()
>	   (let ((var (gensym)))
>		:
>		:
>
> I get an error (function var is unbound). I do the same thing in Tek Common
> Lisp, or Franz Lisp, and I have no problems.........

You'll have to give some more information.  What do you do with
var in the rest of the function?  Does your problem happen only
if the function is compiled?

I don't have any problem when giving a variable a gensym as it's
value (and I do it all the time).  So I suspect there's something
in the rest of the function that's significant.

Jeff Dalton,                      JANET: ········@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,        ARPA:  ·················@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.             UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!J.Dalton
From: Dave Seaman
In article <·····@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ·······@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Rajeev Pandey) writes:

>  I have this problem that I encountered while using Kyoto Common Lisp. If I
>  try to use a let and a gensym together like:
>
>	(defun whatever ()
>	   (let ((var (gensym)))
>		:
>		:
>
> I get an error (function var is unbound). I do the same thing in Tek Common
> Lisp, or Franz Lisp, and I have no problems.........

The problem must surely lie in the portion of the code that you left out of
your posting.  I have two reasons for saying so:

    1.  I ran the simplest case under KCL and it worked.

Script started on Wed Jul  5 14:25:34 1989
% cat whatever.lsp
(defun whatever ()
  (let ((var (gensym)))
       var))
% kcl
KCl (Kyoto Common Lisp)  June 3, 1987

>(load "whatever")
Finished loading whatever.lsp

>(whatever)
#:G823

>(whatever)
#:G824

    2.  You quoted the message as saying FUNCTION var is unbound, rather than
	VARIABLE var is unbound.  That indicates that the code you left out
	must be attempting to call var as a function.

--
Dave Seaman
···@seaman.cc.purdue.edu