From: Robin Rosenberg, Computer Science, ]bo Akademi
Subject: Unknown functions in Common Lisp
Could someone please help me with a problem. We are trying to get a larger
system written in Common Lisp up running on our Sun here at Abo Akademi.
The system is written in Common Lisp, but it is never mentioned which one.
Our version here is Kyoto Common Lisp. The problem is that there are a few
procedures that KCL doesn't recognize. They are:

(sys:gc)
(sys:listener-abort)
(sys:exit)
(sys:save-world ... )

I have looked into 'Common Lisp' by Guy Steele, but with no results. If
anyone knows what these functions do, then please e-mail me (or post to
the list) the answer.

---
Robin Rosenberg, ]bo Akademi, FINLAND
internet: <··········@finabo.abo.fi>
From: David E. Wallace
Subject: Re: Unknown functions in Common Lisp
These are system calls to local extensions in some dialect of Common
Lisp.  These functions are all defined in HP Common Lisp I; the definitions
from my manual are:

(sys:gc)
Initiate an immediate garbage collection; returns NIL.

(sys:listener-abort)
Exit all listeners by means of a THROW.  It then invokes a new top level
listener after setting *applyhook* and *evalhook* to NIL.
In other words, abort all the way back up to the top level.

(sys:exit)
Terminate lisp.

(sys:save-world ... )
Save an executable Lisp image.  The parameters are:
(system:save-world file &OPTIONAL init-forms message),
where file is the file to be created (string, pathname, or symbol),
init-forms is a list of forms to be executed when the new image is started,
and message is a message to be displayed when the new image is started.

Most Common Lisps have some variety of these functions; they have different
names (and slightly different features) in different dialects.

Dave W.		(·············@hplabs.hp.com)