From: ······@p.cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: File I/O
/* Written  3:16 pm  Feb 12, 1989 by ·····@andrew.cmu.edu in p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.lang.lisp */
/* ---------- "File I/O" ---------- */
I am trying to read various types of ascii data files into a standard common
LISP program (Ibuki Common Lisp).  There are a number of ways to create streams
and such, but how can I test for an End Of File so that my read won't return an
error?

I have gone through Steele, but apparently the appropriate function has eluded
me.  Thanks for any help.

-David

····@andrew.cmu.edu
···@isl1.ri.cmu.edu
/* End of text from p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.lang.lisp */

Look at the optional arguments for READ. (page 375 of Steele).
You can specify a value for READ to return on eof.

YADavid
From: Paul Vaughan
Subject: Re: long and deep?
One big source of Lists is source code.  Just run an analyzer over the
source for your LISP environment (assuming you have it).  Although
these lists aren't what people normally think of as application data,
a LISPM spends a lot of its time dealing with them.

 Paul Vaughan, MCC CAD Program | ARPA: ·······@mcc.com | Phone: [512] 338-3639
 Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!vaughan