From: Philip Koopman
Subject: Combinator reduction applications?
I am studying combinator graph reduction techniques for implementing
functional programming languages.  My question is, if very fast
implementations became available, what applications would they find?

Specifically:
  -- What applications for functional programming languages
  -- What applications for combinator graph reduction in general

If possible, estimate the performance level on a workstation platform
required to make your favorite application run reasonably fast to the
nearest order of magnitude:
  -- 10,000 reduction applications per second (MIRANDA speed)
  -- 100,000 reduction applications per second (SKIM, NORMA, special-purpose
                   hardware type speeds)
  -- 1,000,000 reduction applications per second

If I get a reasonable response, I will summarize results.  By the way,
yes I have read about TIM, so any input on closure reducer applications
as well as graph reducer applications is appreciated.

Thanks,

  Phil Koopman                ·······@maxwell.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  5551 Beacon St.
  Pittsburgh, PA  15217