From: David Chelberg
Subject: lisp for the macIIx
Does anyone know of a common lisp available for the macIIx, or some
fixes to allegro CL which would allow it to run on a macIIx. I have tried
to run allegro CL on my brand new macIIx and it does not appear to work.
As soon as I do a gc it dies with a system error 1 which is a bus error.
So I was wondering if anyone out there has either a fix or another choice
for a common lisp?

Thanks in advance,

--- Dave Chelberg (···@ads.com)

From: Frank Malczewski
Subject: Re: lisp for the macIIx
Expertelligence recently (last few months) announced a new, full Common Lisp
for the Mac; you may want to check it out [see jan/feb 89 issue of PC AI
magazine for some details] at 620 (ouch!).  They are distributing it as
Procyon CL.

  -- Frank Malczewski
From: Flash Sheridan
In article <····@nunki.usc.edu> ········@nunki.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes:

>Expertelligence recently (last few months) announced a new, full Common Lisp
>for the Mac; ...  They are distributing it as
>Procyon CL.

Weird, Procyon is an English firm.  Are Exper just distributing it?
I'd advise avoiding anything produced by Exper; they're
ExperCommonLisp isn't Common Lisp, but is a turkey.  Nag Coral [now
part of Apple] for an upgrade to a IIx version; I'd guess they'll
have one soon.
From: ·····@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
From: Gavin Hemphill
In article <···@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> @······················@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) writes:

>Weird, Procyon is an English firm.  Are Exper just distributing it?
>I'd advise avoiding anything produced by Exper; they're
>ExperCommonLisp isn't Common Lisp, but is a turkey.  Nag Coral [now
>part of Apple] for an upgrade to a IIx version; I'd guess they'll
>have one soon.
>--
>From: ·····@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
>Portal,MacNet: FlashsMom

Having used both Exper and Coral CL (I sunk almost $1k into Exper before I
gave up and bought CCL) I have to STRONGLY recommend CCL it is truly a full
implementation of Common Lisp (with a version of Object lisp built in) and
runs CLOS just fine.  I use it for doing software development at home which
I then transfer to my Symbolics at work.

There is already an update available for Coral for the IIX -- its version
1.2.2.  I got it by calling the Coral phone number listed in their ads, but
I gather that Apple will be distributing through APDA now, so I'm not sure
how one will go about getting updates from now on.

	G++
From: Frank Malczewski
Yes, yes, I've heard all the horror stories about ExperTelligences earlier
so-called Common Lisp.  But does anyone know the story about Procyon CL?
(P.S.  I love my Allegro Common Lisp; just wish I had the speed of maybe,
say, a NeXT machine to really enjoy it!).

  -- Frank Malczewski
From: Flash Sheridan
Subject: Procyon old rumors [was: Re: lisp for the macIIx]
In article <····@nunki.usc.edu> ········@castor.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes:

>  But does anyone know the story about Procyon CL?
>(P.S.  I love my Allegro Common Lisp; just wish I had the speed of maybe,

I saw a beta copy from a year or so back.  It's produced by a
Cambridge England firm, I think.  The beta wouldn't run on my II.
From the manual, it looked like a good try.  Maybe more high-level
coddling for toolbox stuff than Coral.  I'd be surprised if it were
enough better than Coral to be worth switching, but who knows?
From: ·····@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
From: Malcolm Slaney
Subject: Re: Procyon old rumors [was: Re: lisp for the macIIx]
In article <···@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> Flash Sheridan writes:
[Talking about Procyon Common Lisp....]
>I saw a beta copy from a year or so back.  It's produced by a
>Cambridge England firm, I think.  The beta wouldn't run on my II.

Does anybody have anything good to say about Procyon Common Lisp for the Mac?
I haven't heard anything but when I was at MacWorld I was impressed that they
were supporting their own version of the Common Lisp Object Standard (CLOS)
and my quick and dirty floating point benchmark ran slighly faster than Coral.
As far as I know there is no other vendor who is officially supporting CLOS
(I guess its hard to compete with Gregor's great efforts) and floating point
speed is critical to my application.

I've got multiple megabytes of Symbolics signal processing code that has
been cleaned up and ported to lots of different machines.  Before I spend
$1500 on the Procyon product I'd kind of like to know what I'm getting
myself into.

DISCLAIMER....I'm just a lisp user here at Apple and I have nothing to
do with any lisp product stuff.

Thanks.

						Malcolm Slaney
						ATG Speech and Hearing
						·······@apple.com
From: Frank Malczewski
I suppose a phone call could answer this question just as easily, but what
type of support will there be for Allegro CL now that it is Apple; do we
get Apple-type support (i.e., none) or do we get Coral-type support (which
was easily obtainable on GEnie until they got bought).

Also, what's the status on upgrade availability, educational discounts, etc.
Only through APDA? Are current owners taken into consideration? You know,
things like this...

  -- Frank Malczewski
From: Steve Weyer
the problem with Allegro CL bombing on 030 Macs (like IIx, accelerators)
has been fixed.  distributing the fix (slowed down somewhat by transition
of the product from Coral to Apple) has also been fixed.  I'll forward
your note to the product support folks here.

steve

Advanced Technology Group
Intelligent Applications
ALink: WEYER1
From: David Chelberg
Thanks to all responders. I got ahold of the folks at Coral and
version 1.2.2 is on the way to me. It will supposedly fix all the nasty
problems with the macIIx. By the way, I just want to go on record as
being extremely pleased with Allegro CL as a great implementation of
lisp for the mac.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Apple Computer, or any of its affiliates,
I am just a satisfied customer. These view are my own, not
necessarily anyone else's, etc. etc. etc.

-- DMC