From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Explorer
I just saw a TV commercial for a home computer called "Explorer".  At first
I thought, "What?  TI is marketing their Lisp Machine to home users?"  From
the rest of the commercial I found out that it is a completely different
machine by a different manufacturer.

So, did TI forget to trademark the name "Explorer"?  Or are these new guys
about to get their asses sued?
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

······@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

From: Al Thompson
Subject: Re: Explorer
In article <·····@news.Think.COM> ······@Think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
>I just saw a TV commercial for a home computer called "Explorer".  At first
>I thought, "What?  TI is marketing their Lisp Machine to home users?"  From
>the rest of the commercial I found out that it is a completely different
>machine by a different manufacturer.
>
>So, did TI forget to trademark the name "Explorer"?  Or are these new guys
>about to get their asses sued?

No kidding, there is a company marketing a vacuum cleaner called "VAX".
What is DEC going to do?  (sorry about the group, just following up).
From: ······@Think.COM
In article <·····@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ···@cs.bu.edu (Al Thompson) writes:
>No kidding, there is a company marketing a vacuum cleaner called "VAX".
>What is DEC going to do?

That's not a problem (although I remember being startled when I saw that
commercial, too), because trademarks are only valid within a particular
industry.  You could name your computer Corvette and not have to worry
about Ford coming after you.  But if you come out with a new car and call
it Corvette you can expect to be in court pretty soon.

From: Al Thompson
In article <·····@news.Think.COM> ······@Think.COM writes:
>In article <·····@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ···@cs.bu.edu (Al Thompson) writes:
>>No kidding, there is a company marketing a vacuum cleaner called "VAX".
>>What is DEC going to do?
>
>That's not a problem (although I remember being startled when I saw that
>commercial, too), because trademarks are only valid within a particular
>industry.  You could name your computer Corvette and not have to worry
>about Ford coming after you.  But if you come out with a new car and call
>it Corvette you can expect to be in court pretty soon.

Yeah, but isn't Beretta going after Chevrolet right now?

Sorry about the group, again.
From: Eran Gat
In article <·····@news.Think.COM>, ······@Think.COM writes:
> You could name your computer Corvette and not have to worry
> about Ford coming after you.

Maybe, but GM would probably not be amused.
From: dave sueme
cross-industry trademark disputes are possible on the theory that the
infringing new mark "dilutes" the public perception of a "secondary
meaning" of the mark.  That is the basis of the Beretta - GM suit and
was the basis of the Lexis/Lexus suit.  Beretta argues that someday
someone will wander into Joe's Guns, see a Beretta over/under and
say "Hey - a General Motors shotgun - they want $900 for THAT?".

dave sueme
From: Rob Ballantyne
> industry.  You could name your computer Corvette and not have to worry
                                          ********
> about Ford coming after you.  But if you come out with a new car and call
        ****
> it Corvette you can expect to be in court pretty soon.
>
> ······@think.com
> {uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

As it turns out Corvettes are made by Ford - It's all a communist plot :-)

 Rob Ballantyne
 Department of Mathematics & Statistics
 Simon Fraser University
 Burnaby, BC