From: Edward Berard
Subject: Re: CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Formation of comp.object-oriented
Folks,

Someone was kind enough to send me the "guidelines for the creation of
a new newsgroup. I will not reproduce them in their entirety here, but
I will present relevant excerpts. These appear to be from "the powers
that be."

[My comments are contained in square brackets like the ones that
enclose this sentence.]

---------------------------------
[*** begin excerpts ***]

   "Any group creation request which follows these guidelines to a
successful result should be honored, and any request which fails to
follow these procedures or to obtain a successful result from doing so
should be dropped, except under extraordinary circumstances."

   "It should be pointed out here that, as always, the decision
whether or not to create a newsgroup on a given machine rests with the
administrator of that machine."

The Discussion

1) ...the actual discussion [should take] place only in news.groups.
   Users on sites which have difficulty posting to moderated groups
   may mail submissions intended for news.announce.newgroups to
   ···················@ncar.ucar.edu". [Some discussion of
   comp.object-oriented has already taken place on news.groups.]

2) The discussion period should last for at least two weeks (14 days),
   and no more than 30 days. [This means the "discussion period"
   should end on, or around August 23, 1989.]

3) The name and charter of the proposed group ... [At present the name
   is "comp.object-oriented", and my original message, i.e., the "call
   for discussion" represents a trial charter. However, both are open
   to debate.] ...  and whether it will be moderated
   or unmoderated (and if the former, who the moderator(s) will be) should
   be determined during the discussion period. ... [Do you want the group
   to be moderated? If so, by whom? Any volunteers?]

[*** end of excerpts ***]
-------------------------------

On, or around, August 23, 1989, assuming all goes well, I will post a
formal "call for votes." That message will also include a summary
of the voting rules. I will act as the vote collector. Unfortunately,
all votes received prior to the formal call for votes, cannot be
counted.

Feel free to send me e-mail at any time. However, ALL DISCUSSION ON
THE POSSIBLE FORMATION OF COMP.OBJECT-ORIENTED SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO
news.groups.

				-- Ed Berard
				   (301) 353-9652