From: Alan Lovejoy
Subject: Polymorphism
vax.bbn.com (Mike Thome) writes:
rnms1.paradyne.com (Alan Lovejoy) writes:
>>-- Portability --
>>1) Language portability is a function of how similar the compilers for different
>>systems are and the breadth and depth of STANDARD functions that are provided
>>via STANDARD interfaces.  This is largely an extra-linguistic issue that
>>has more to do with the history and culture of different language communities
>>than it has to do with the technical merits of languages as languages.
>>Smalltalk is the winner here, with C++ a strong runner-up.
>I'm not sure I see how this is *at all* a linguistic issue - it sounds
>as thought you are talking more of programming environment and fidelity
>of implementations than anything else.  Frankly, I'm surprised that C++
>is listed in the same sentence as Smalltalk in this regard - Smalltalk is
>an entire integrated environment implemented in itself... the only other
>similar systems that come close are Lisp Machines (from various vendors)
>running Flavors - perhaps some of the pascal P-machines might be grouped
>in the same way.

1) How is portability a linguistic issue?

Languages that lack certain amenities that users find irresistable tend to
sprout nonstandard extensions in each implementation.  FORTRAN and Pascal
are famous examples.

Then there are those languages whose programmer interface is too "physical"
or perhaps "low level" (which is not necessarily the same thing!), such that
it assumes too much about the architecture of a particular system.  Assembly
languages are good examples, although even "high-level" languages may exhibit
this problem.  It is often masked by the architectural similarities of
modern general purpose systems, however (e.g., byte, halfword, fullword
bit sizes; binary encoding; data type-machine instruction binding).

2) Why does C++ deserve mention alongside ST-80 in regards to portability?

C++ inherits :-) a large supply of STANDARD fuctions and STANDARD interfaces
from C.  To a large extent, C's supply of standard functions arises out of
its association with the UNIX operating system.  While comparing UNIX and
the ST-80 image is not completely kosher, it cannot be denied that both
UNIX and the ST-80 image represent a LOT of code and a LOT of functionality.
And that none of the other languages mentioned have anything like it to
within an order of mangnitude.

>>-- Object Orientation --
>>The definition of "object oriented language" is open to debate.  Instead of
>>debating the minimum set of attributes that an object-oriented language
>>should have, it is more instructive to consider the ideal case.
>>  First, some definitions: A class is a set of values and the functions/relations
>>defined on the members of that set.  An object is an instance of a class which
>>represents one of the values in the set, that is, one of values of the class.
>>  Inheritance is the ability to define a new class in terms of its differences
>>(extensions, deletions, changes) from some other pre-existing class.
>CLOS Generalizes that to "... from some other pre-existing (required for
>instance instantiation) class or classes".
>
>>The ideal object-oriented language would:
>>1) Have user-definable classes.
>CLOS satisfies this requirement - methods may be specified not only on
>defined classes, but also built-in data types (ie. integers vs. floats vs.
>complex vs. ratios ... etc) and even single values.
>
>>2) Have class inheritance.
>CLOS has this.  In addition, it allows inheritance from multiple
>(possibly disjoint) classes.
>
>>3) Allow function/operator overloading.
>CLOS has this.  Any function may be specialized on any one or more of
>its required arguments. (there is no difference between operator and
>function in lisp.  Note that macros and special forms may not be
>specialized).
>
>>4) Be completely polymorphic.
>>Smalltalk and Lisp are highly polymorphic.  Next is Objective-C and Prolog.
>>Then C++, and last is Modula-2.
>I would like to see the definition of "polymorphic" (for my own
>education).

You (and several other people, in email) asked for it!  So here it is,
along with three references:

1. "Polymorphic Programming Languages -- Design and Implementation" -- 1984
   David M. Harland, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., University Of Glasgow
   Halsted Press: a division of John Wiley & Sons
   -- MUST READING --

2. "Denotational Semantics -- A Methodology For Language Development" -- 1986
   David A. Schmidt, Kansas State University
   Allyn and Bacon, Inc.

3. "Abstraction Mechanisms And Language Design" -- 1981
   an ACM Distinguished Dissertation (1982) by Dr. Paul N. Hilfinger, CMU
   The MIT Press

-- Definition Of Polymorphism --

Full polymorphism means that any component or aspect of a program, program
component or programming language must behave as a value.  Any and all
values must be subject to inspection, modification, storage in memory,
usage as a component part of some composite value, usage as a paremeter,
usage as an operand in an expression, being computed as the result of
evaluating an expression or function, and (re)definition of its form, structure,
content or name.  The protocol for invoking these common operations must be
the same for all values, regardless of type.

To say the same thing more concretely:  numbers, characters, data types,
procedures, variables, addresses, blocks, execution contexts, name bindings,
scopes, processes and the number of bits in an integer must all be "first
class objects."  First class objects all share the same set of fundamental
rights, priviliges and abilities, the protocol for the exercise of which
is the same for all objects. A first class object has a value that can be
inspected, changed or stored in memory.  There are functions and/or relations
that have been and/or can be defined for any first class object. A first class
object can have its structure defined or redefined. It can be bound to a name,
and its name can be changed.

-- Definition of Abstraction --

Abstraction is the process of discovering and/or expressing what is INVARIANT,
constant and organic in a system by taking out, leaving out or not mentioning
that which is changing, temporary or accidental.

-- Programming Language Abstraction Mechanisms --

User definable procedures, functions and data types are the most important
(and most common) abstraction mechanisms found in modern programming languges.

Generally, the abstraction mechanisms in a programming language permit one to
construct GENERAL PURPOSE structures, devices or tools that are DEFINED ONCE BUT
USED MANY TIMES in different contexts.  Let us refer to such entities in a
program as "object abstractions".  Object abstractions serve as TEMPLATES from
which multiple but partially identical program objects can be created.  Each
such "created object" in a program (or set of programs), as a separate INSTANCE
of the same object abstraction, will have all the same properties, attributes,
functions and structures defined for that object abstraction.  The idea is to
build an abstracted MASTER OBJECT, an ORIGNAL MOLD from which multiple actual
instances can be generated like cookies from a cookie cutter.  Ideally, the
programmer will design his object abstractions in such a way that they can even
be reused in totally unrelated programs or systems.

By using instantiation of object abstractions to generate program objects, the
workings, interfaces and functionality of the program objects are tied to the
object abstraction, so that modifications or fixes need only be done to the
object abstraction; the instantiation process insures that modifications are
automatically propogated to the generated program objects. Instantiation of
object abstractions allows multiple copies of a program object to be created
with little extra effort beyond what is required to make just the first copy,
saving time.

Another type of abstraction mechanism called PARAMETERIZATION is also of
critical importance.  Parameterization is a mechanism which permits the
programmer to define program objects whose full nature, whose complete
composition, structure, operation and/or data is NOT DETERMINED UNTIL THE OBJECT
IS ACTUALLY INSTANTIATED, OR EVEN UNTIL THE PROGRAM IS EXECUTED! For example, a
square is a shape abstraction whose usefulness derives partly from the fact that
it says nothing about the SIZE of square shaped objects.  The concept or
abstraction "square" is INDEPENDENT of size (and of horizontal/vertical
orientation, location, material composition, weight, color, velocity...).  All
actual squares must of course have some actual size, but the ability to form
such abstractions DIVORCED of certain details is incredibly useful.  It is far
better to write a square drawing procedure that will draw a square of any size
than to have to write a different square drawing procedure for each desired size
of square. Such a size-independent procedure is said to be parameterized: it
accepts the size of the square to be drawn as an input "parameter".

-- Polymorphism and Abstraction Mechanisms --

Polymorphism involves two invariants:  everything behaves as a value, and all
values have a common set of abilities and a common protocol for the exercise of
those abilities.  Abstraction depends upon discovering and exploiting
invariants.  If everything is a value, then everything can be used by
abstraction mechanisms.  If the protocol for exercising the fundamental
abilities of all values is the same, then the same abstraction mechanisms can be
applied to values of any type.

What abstractions can be created by abstraction mechanisms depends upon what can
be a value.  The generality of the abstractions depends upon both what can be a
value and the commonness of the protocol for accessing common attributes and/or
behaviors of values.

For example, the usefulness of the list abstraction depends upon what can be
a member of the list (what can be a value), and upon the orthogonality of the
protocol for manipulating values:  each different protocol for loading/storing
values from/to memory (e.g., "list.element := element" versus "list.element :=
element^") requires a different version of the abstraction.

Consider the following function definition:

    function sum(a);
    begin
      s := 0;
      for i := 1 to size(a) do
        s := s + a(i);
      end;
      return s;
    end sum;

The usefulness of this function depends upon what values can be input to it
as parameters, upon what value types functions can return, upon what value
types have the ":=", "+" and "()" operations defined on them and upon what value
types have the "size()" function defined for them.  In a language where the
function invocation and array indexing operators are both "()", then the
parameter to this function might be either an array or a function.  In Pascal
or Modula-2, the parameter would have to be function only, because the
array indexing operator is "[]."

The point is that polymorphism enhances the power of abstraction mechanisms.
Lack of polymorphism cripples abstraction.

--
Alan Lovejoy; ยทยทยทยท@pdn; 813-530-2211; AT&T Paradyne: 8550 Ulmerton, Largo, FL.
Disclaimer: I do not speak for AT&T Paradyne.  They do not speak for me.