From: quale
Subject: portable assembler and loader
The paper "A Portable LISP Compiler" (Software--Practice & Experience, Vol 11,
1981) by Martin Griss & Anthony Hearn refers to a paper on a portable lisp
assembler and loader by I. B. Frick as "in preparation."  The title was said
to be "A portable loader and fast loader for Standard LISP" although they might
have meant "A portable assembler ...".

I haven't been able to find this paper.  Was it ever published?

(I had looked for it a few years ago and then forgotten it when I couldn't find
it. I was reminded of it a couple of weeks ago when someone mentioned it on
comp.arch during a discussion of portable intermediate languages.)

 -- Doug Quale
 ·····@uhura.cs.wisc.edu
From: Inge Frick
Subject: Re: portable assembler and loader
In article <····@puff.cs.wisc.edu> ·····@puff.cs.wisc.edu (quale) writes:

   The paper "A Portable LISP Compiler" (Software--Practice &
   Experience, Vol 11, 1981) by Martin Griss & Anthony Hearn refers to
   a paper on a portable lisp assembler and loader by I. B. Frick as
   "in preparation."  The title was said to be "A portable loader and
   fast loader for Standard LISP" although they might have meant "A
   portable assembler ...".

   I haven't been able to find this paper.  Was it ever published?

   (I had looked for it a few years ago and then forgotten it when I
   couldn't find it. I was reminded of it a couple of weeks ago when
   someone mentioned it on comp.arch during a discussion of portable
   intermediate languages.)

    -- Doug Quale ·····@uhura.cs.wisc.edu

The paper mentioned was never published. As I was reminded about it
I might actually publish something. There was a (semi-) portable assembler
involved but I am not to happy about the portability of the code so I will
probably just make a short note with the general ideas and the format of
the loader.

Inge Frick                                Tel: +46 8 7908193
Postal address: Inge Frick, NADA, KTH, S-100 44  Stockholm, Sweden
Internet: ····@nada.kth.se  UUCP: {uunet,mcvax..}!enea!nada.kth.se!inge