From: ······@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu
Subject: empirical data for generation gc?
I'm looking for empirical data on the performance of generation-based
garbage collectors while running realistic programs.  If anybody out
there has such data, I would be very interested in seeing it.

(I already have Bob Shaw's dissertation, which I am depending on too
heavily. I need more data points.  I also have Courts' new CACM paper,
Ungar and Jackson's OOPSLA paper, and Ungar's older stuff.)

I am interested in ANY of the following kinds of data:

 1. rates of allocation and of scavenge survival, even if only for
    the first generation/level

 2. frequency and/or locality of inter-generational references stored
    into the heap (perhaps in terms of number of pages holding them)

 3. frequency and/or locality of all writes to older generations

If you have any such data and are willing to share it, please send
me a note.  Even very rough figures would be fine, either for
compute-bound programs or interactive sessions.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul R. Wilson
Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory