From: Richard Wallick
Subject: which compiler
hi
  I've been assigned to research Common Lisp compilers for
  the Sun.  Since this is my first foray into the LISP world,
  I'm seeking any and all advice.

  The only one I've come up with is from the University of Utah.
  Doesn't anyone have any feelings (good and bad) bout their
  Common LISP?  Are there any other compilers I should check
  into?

  Thanks for the assist!

			-<<O>>-

P.S.  I'll correlate all responses and post them to net for others.

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: Re: which compiler
	Sun distributes Lucid common lisp; I have been using it and
it's pretty good; has a good foreign function interface which I think
is crucial.  But you ought to be able to run just about any lisp you
want, I should think.  If the utah lisp you are talking about is the
same one that HP used to distribute (they have now switched to Lucid)
and I think it may be, than I warn you away from it.  It has almost no
provisions for foreign function calls, etc...

MS
From: Chan Benson
Subject: Re: Re: which compiler
> If the utah lisp you are talking about is the
> same one that HP used to distribute (they have now switched to Lucid)
> and I think it may be, than I warn you away from it.  It has almost no
> provisions for foreign function calls, etc...

I don't know what the U of U distributes, but their only connection to
HP's original Common Lisp is that PSL was used to bootstrap it up. As
far as the HP Lisp not having foreign function support, it actually had
better facilities than the early Lucid releases for calling other languages
from Lisp. You could not however, call Lisp from another language.

			-- Chan Benson
			HP Fort Collins