From: gary h ogasawara
Subject: <Sun CL memory management parameters..?>
  24 May 88

  We're running Knowledge Craft 3.1 (languages only) with Sun Common
  Lisp 2.1.1 on a Sun 3/60 w/ 20 MB which is a client.

  We have a very large application that must run fast.  Most of the
  code is in Lisp (rather than Prolog or OPS which KC provides).

  I would like to know more about how the lisp memory management
  works, and whether we can adjust the memory management parameters to
  speed the system up.  I tried a simple experiment of increasing the
  dynamic areas from 40 segments (64K = 1 seg) to a larger number,
  thinking that this would reduce the time spent garbage collecting.
  However, the larger the dynamic areas were the slower the times I
  got.  I assume this is because more copying between dynamic areas
  must be done.

  There is also a reclamation ratio parameter which specifies the
  desired ratio of free to total dynamic storage.  The default is
  0.33, and adjusting that number upwards to 0.5 or 0.6 also seems to
  result in a slower time.

  So...the bottom line: what setting of parameters will result in the
  fastest execution?  And are there any other ways that we can speed up
  the system?

thanx,
/gary h ogasawara     	·····@ford-wdl1.arpa     ...!sun!wdl1!garyo