From: ······@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: ftp address for KCL?
sigh...
I'm sorry to bother you all with this, but I seem to have lost my copy of
KCL and forgotten from where it is ftp-able.  If someone could supply the
net address of the machine with kcl on it for distribution, I would be most
grateful.

Simon Kaplan
······@a.cs.uiuc.edu
uunet!uiucdcs!kaplan

From: Alex S. Crain
Subject: Re: ftp address for KCL?
	KCL can be had anonymous ftp from rascal.isc.utexas.edu, or
128.83.144.1 (same thing).

	I know this because I just downloaded it and tried to compile it on
a VAX 11/785 running ULTRIX 2.0. It builds ok, up until it tries to (SAVE),
where it dumps core :-(. I havn't had a chance to dig through the core image
yet, and I was hoping that there is a standard fix. Anyone seen this before?

	BTW: I set MACHINE=VAX in the header files, and I coudn't find anything
else to configure.

--
					:alex.

···········@umbc3.umd.edu
····@umbc3.umd.edu
From: Ken Rimey
Subject: building kcl on vaxen
In article <···@umbc3.UMD.EDU> ····@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:

>	KCL can be had anonymous ftp from rascal.isc.utexas.edu, or
>128.83.144.1 (same thing).
>
>	I know this because I just downloaded it and tried to compile it on
>a VAX 11/785 running ULTRIX 2.0. It builds ok, up until it tries to (SAVE),
>where it dumps core :-(.  ...
>					:alex.

I wish they would fix the version that is there for people to ftp.
Somewhere in the stuff you copied, you will find this note of mine:

	Bringing up KCL under BSD4.3: I installed kcl on a Vax 88xx running
	Ultrix V2.0.  Kcl crashed when executing the final save-system command
	in init_kcl.lsp.  It also crashed on a Vax running BSD4.3.  The
	problem is caused by some highly non-portable code introduced into
	Lsave() in c/unixsave.c since the version of March 28, 1986.  I
	deleted the new code and reintroduced the old which had been commented
	out.  Here is the resulting working Lsave():

Lsave()
{
	char filename[256];

	check_arg(1);
	check_type_or_pathname_string_symbol_stream(&vs_base[0]);
	coerce_to_filename(vs_base[0], filename);

	_cleanup();
	memory_save(kcl_self, filename);
	exit(0);
	/*  no return  */