From: Yvo Van Wezemael
Subject: X11 server for Symbolics?
The subject is the question. Does such a server exist and where (if
yes) can I get it?

				Yvo

--
Yvo Van Wezemael (···@L2):
        Postfach 1240 (Schloss Birlinghoven)
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: X11 server for Symbolics?
International Lisp Associates is working on an X11 implementation for
Symbolics machines, and Symbolics will be selling it in the near
future.

This product primarily will implement the X11 client, but it also
includes a port of the portable X11 server.  ILA warns, however, that
this is a very simple port, intended to help with debugging, not for
use as a high-performance X server.  I haven't actually used it (we
have the beta-test version, but I've only tried the client so far).

Also, if you have used the Lispm X10 server that was written at MIT
last year, you will notice some behavioral differences.  The X10
server brings up a Lisp Machine window for each X window.  The X11
server will bring up a single Lisp Machine window in which all X
displays will take place.  This is a consequence of the fact that it
is simply a port of the portable server, as it implements the output
by simply writing into a global bit array.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

······@think.com
uunet!think!barmar