From: Powell
Subject: Array type problem in Franz
Hello, I am having a problem with the array types in
Franz Lisp (Opus 38.92).  Here is what I attempt:

(setq IADDRARRAY (array nil fixnum-block 1))

On our Vax, it gets evaluated to array[1].

On the SUN 3/60, it returns an error saying:

IMPROPER SET

or something to that effect.  The error is actually correct
on the SUN because single-stepping shows an evaluation of the
code (set 0 0) somewhere deep within.

I have done the following:

1. Compiled the array.l function (and used the array.o) as distributed on the
	SUN tape.  The above line bombs.
2. Read in the array.l code and typed the line.  It bombs.
3. Compiled the array.l function (and used the array.o) as distributed on the
	VAX tape (copied to the SUN).  It bombs.
4. Did (1) and (3) after (sstatus nofeature 68k).  It bombs.
5. Read the SUN array.l after (sstatus nofeature 68k).  It bombs.
6. Read the VAX array.l after (sstatus nofeature 68k).  It works.

Note: I have not yet tried to use the value returned after (6).
	I will get to that later.

My questions are: has anyone found out why this behaves like
	this?
and
	am I doing something improperly?
and
	is there a real fix for this somewhere?

Thank you for your support.  I should mention that this is not
code that Franz, Inc. has anything to do with.  This occurs on the
public domain Franz Lisp.

					John D. Powell
					PAR Technology
					adiron!jdp