From: John Baugh
Subject: Summary: Data Flow Simulation
As promised, here's a summary of responses to my post regarding data
flow simulation.  These (abbreviated) responses pertain to ID,
although I did receive a response or two about systems that require
explicit input of a data dependency graph.

John (···@cive.ri.cmu.edu)

From: Randy Osborne <···@VX.LCS.MIT.EDU>

You should check out Id World, an integrated environment for
developing, compiling, debugging, and executing Id programs on a
dataflow machine simulator.  The simulator is heavily instrumented for
studying the behavior of parallel programs. Results such as
parallelism profiles can be displayed graphically.  Id World is
implemented almost entirely in Common Lisp and currently runs on 36xx
Lisp Machines and T.I. Explorers. (It's supposedly being ported to
other workstations supporting Common Lisp.) You can obtain/find out
more about Id World by contacting:

	·····················@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU

From: Ken Traub <··@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>

Choong Seow forwarded me a message wherein you ask if there are dataflow
simulation tools available.

We have a tool here called "Id World", which consists of a compiler from the
language Id into dataflow graphs, a graph interpreter called GITA
which executes these compiled programs and provides a wealth
of statistics such as parallelism profiles and operation counts,
and support for rapid program development.

Id World is currently available as a product, for a nominal
licensing fee (I believe it's $200).  Currently, we can provide
Id World software for either of the following two configurations:

   1)  Symbolics 36xx series Lisp Machine running Genera 7.1 or 7.2.

   2)  TI Explorer or Explorer II Lisp Machine running release 3.2.

It is anticipated that a version will be available for Sun workstations
in the future, although it is likely to have less support for graphics
and program development tools.

If you want to purchase Id World, contact:

  Natalie Tarbet
  MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
  545 Technology Square, room 208
  Cambridge MA 02144
  (617) 253-6837
  ···@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

From: ···@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

MIT announces Release 3.0 of Id World software, to be sent to all Id World
customers on July 6, 1988.  Release 3.0 of Id World replaces release 1.0, and
has the following features:

  *  Inline substitution is now supported in the Id language.

  *  The Id Compiler now performs a high level of optimization.

  *  Id World software runs on the current release of Lisp Machine operating
     systems.

Id World release 3.0 is available for the following machine configurations:

  *  Symbolics 3600 series Lisp Machine, running Genera version 7.1/7.2.

  *  Texas Instruments Explorer I and II, running software version 3.2.

MIT will cease supporting Id World on Symbolics release 6.1 and TI release 2.1
as of August 19, 1988.

There is no charge to current Id World customers for Release 3.0 of Id World
software.  Present Id World customers will automatically be sent a Release 3.0
tape on July 6, 1988; current customers need not contact MIT to receive their
tape.  New customers should direct their inquiries to:

By E-Mail:

	···@xx.lcs.mit.edu

By U.S. Mail

	Natalie Tarbet