From: Natraj Arni
Subject: Symbolics user interface
	I seem to be having some trouble with the windowing
	environment on the SYMBOLICS. I have a frame defined
	with multiple panes. A menu is defined in one of the
	panes. An item selected from this menu causes the
	program to read from the listener (which is one of the
	panes). I am doing a 'read' using the function 'accept'.
	What I get is the prompt for input on the listener, but
	typing in the input from the keyboard doesn't help, since
	the machine just hangs in there doing nothing. A c-m-suspend
	revealed that the process was stuck in the function
	'process-wait'. Is there a way out of this ? Is it because
	the two panes (the menu and the listener) are different
	processes ? And if that is true, do I need to set up some
	kind of protocol ?

	Any help would be appreciated.

	-- natraj

	PS:

	One of the solutions (actually a kludge) is taking the
	form invoked by the selection of the menu item and stuffing
	each character of that lisp form in the listener's buffer.
	This gives the ugly output on the listener, as it shows the
	whole lisp form being executed, but it works. I am sure there's
	a better solution.

	Mail to

	······@im4u.utexas.edu

	······@hi.aca.mcc.com