From: Michael H. Bender
Subject: EXPLORER (vs. Sun) Experience?
PLEASE - if you have any experience with the TI Explorer environment,
or have made any comparisons between it and the SUN environment,
please help us by lettin us know ....

An associate of mine is debating between the purchase of a Mac-II with
the TI Explorer board, or a Sun workstation.  Currently, he has a Sun,
and he wants to buy 2 Mac's and link them togehter (NFS? IP/TCP?).  He
will be running Knowledge Craft Primarily.

QUESTION 1)
How hard is it to learn to use the Lisp environment on the Explorer?
Is it as difficult as the Symbolics used to be?

In the past - people have told me that it takes close to a year to
become expert on the Symbolics (much less on the Sun) ... is this true
for the Explorer also?

QUESTION 2)
How hard is it to maintain the software and environment?  He is afraid
that if he gets a Sun he will need to hire a Unix guru.... Will he
have to hire an Explorer/Zeta-Lisp expert if he gets a MacII with the
TI board?

QUESTION 3)
Does the TI environment (which I assume will completely run on the
Mac-II) provide a large number of libraries that would otherwise have
to be developed on the SUN workstations?

Please share your experiences with us...

Mike Bender  ยทยทยท@ford-wdl1