From: Jim Helman
Subject: Re: Gabriel benchmark result
>  From: ········@eliot.cs.uiuc.edu
>
> Gabriel Benchmark Suite tested on:
>   IBM RT PC
>   Explorer 2
>   Explorer 1
>   SUN 3/160
> (all times are in seconds)

Thanks, but...... Could you, and any additional posters of benchmark
timings, please give a few more details, such as which lisp you are
running and what version of it, e.g.  Lucid Common Lisp 2.1?  Also
please specify any additonal hardware or compiler directives, e.g.
(compiler-options :target '68020/68881), the speed and saftey levels
used and how extensively type declarations were made and tailored to the
machine.

> Disclaimer:  All times are guaranteed to be approximate.

Guarantee confirmed.  The correspondence between the recently posted
results with the Sun-3/160 numbers given with a July 1986 document
from Sun "Sun Common Lisp Performance Report", is not good.  Some of
the Sun numbers are 2x slower and some others are 2x faster (TRIANG is
4X faster) than the recent posting.  I know for a fact that the current
Sun/Lucid 2.1 release is much better than the old Sun/Lucid release,
which could account for the old Sun numbers being slow.  Wisely and
lucidly made declarations probably account for the cases where the old
Sun numbers are faster.

It's tough enough as it is to translate benchmark performance into
real performance without adding additional unknowns.  I wish people
from companies such as Lucid, Franz, TI, Sun, Symbolics, etc., or
those who have copies of their recent lisp performance reports, would
post some good, optimized benchmark results.

Thanks...

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics
Stanford University