From: Doug Alan
Subject: Need help in choosing an implementation of Common Lisp
I may take a job implementing a program to do cognitive simulation of
the human brain.  The previous version of the program was written in
Franz Lisp (I believe the version that comes free with 4.3bsd Unix),
and the new version will be rewritten from scratch.  I have recomended
that the new version be written in Common Lisp.

So now I have to worry about which implementation of Common Lisp
should be used.  The program will probably run on two different kinds
of system: a microvax running 4.3bsd and a Sun running their version
of 4.3bsd.

I know that Kyoto Common Lisp is really cheap (i.e. free).  How does
it compare in execution speed to Franz Lisp?  How reliable is it?  How
do its memory needs compare to Franz?  Are there any commercially
available implementations that are clearly supperior to Kyoto Common
Lisp?  How do they compare in execution speed, memory usage,
reliability, extentions, and debugging tools to Kyoto CL and Franz
Lisp?

If anyone can provide any information relating to any or all of these
questions, I would be very grateful.  If you do, please mail me a
copy of your response.

  (or ······@athena.mit.edu
      ······@mit-eddie.uucp)