From: ·····@ztivax.UUCP
Subject: Re: Common Lisp Performance Analysis - (nf)
/* Written  3:18 am  Feb 11, 1987 by ·······@alice in ztivax:comp.lang.lisp */
/* ---------- "Common Lisp Performance Analysis" ---------- */

What do people do to find out where the time is going in a
large common lisp program?  I recently cut the run time of
a large compiled-lisp program by a factor of 5 [...]

I found this by inserting calls to get-internal-cpu-time in
various places.  But it seems like there should be something
like the time profiling we're used to with C, etc. [...]
(I'm using Lucid Common Lisp 1.2, on a Sun) [...]

Howard Trickey, AT&T Bell Laboratories {allegra,research}!trickey
/* End of text from ztivax:comp.lang.lisp */

If you want useful tools in your Lisp, then use Interlisp-D.  Even though
Interlisp-D development is at a standstill as Xerox shifts to Common
Lisp, it will still be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time before Common Lisp will
have the tools a real lisp programmer needs.  (For your performance
problem, use SPY - it gives you a graphic display of where your program
spends its time, and you can do lots of useful things with the graph.
And it's almost trivial to use.)

Someone recently advertized his ignorance of Interlisp on the net by
stating something to the effect that he didn't need a spaghetti stack
therefore he didn't need Interlisp.  <sound of GONG>  (I assume he means
Interlisp-D, the version on lisp machines.)  I know I'm fighting a losing
battle, but I swear, Interlisp-D as an environment has it all over
any other lisp.

Steve Clark
Have fun trying to get mail to me:
EUNET:  unido!ztivax!steve
Usenet: ...{ihnp4!princeton or topaz}!siemens!steve
CSNET:  approximately ·····@siemens.siemens-rtl.com
	(maybe .csnet instead of .com; maybe leave out the first "siemens.")