From: Richard A. O'Keefe
Subject: Re: Applicative languages?  Anyone?
The languages described in Peyton-Jones's book are Miranda and
	>>>Lazy<<< ML.
DEC-10 ML and VAX ML are strict languages.  They do have
(monotyped) assignable objects.  Peyton-Jones's book has nothing
to say about their implementation.  Lazy ML is a lazy language
(normal-order evaluation), and to the best of my knowledge it
does not have assignable objects.

If people are interested in trying Lazy ML out, rather than in the
mechanics of writing compilers, they might prefer to get a copy of
the Lazy ML system.  (In fact, if you *are* interested in the
mechanics of writing compilers, you might get it anyway; you will
learn a lot.)  I have seen a copy, and was much impressed by it.
You should contact

	Lennart Augustsson	········@chalmers.csnet
				...!mcvax!enea!chalmers!augustss
or