From: ······@bnrmtv.UUCP
Subject: lisp to C translator
If anyone knows of a common lisp to C translator I would
appreciate e-mail describing it.  I realize that this sort
of translation is fraught with problems but I believe that
some portion of the translation could be made.

I'm interesting in either (a) code which is capable of
performing some of the translation or (b) articles or
references to work that has been done in this area.

Thanx,  Mark.

Mark Wagner
{amdahl, hplabs}!bnrmtv!wagner

From: David Cogen
Subject: Re: lisp to C translator
Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.46.1 of Fri Jun 12 1987 on xn (berkeley-unix)

In article <····@bnrmtv.UUCP> ······@bnrmtv.UUCP (Mark Wagner) writes:

>   If anyone knows of a common lisp to C translator I would
>   appreciate e-mail describing it.  I realize that this sort
>   of translation is fraught with problems but I believe that
>   some portion of the translation could be made.

KCL (Kyoto Common Lisp) uses C as the intermediate code output from its
compiler. The C output is ugly. For example, it is incorrectly indented, uses
goto and no structured constructs (for, while, etc), uses a lot of meaningless
variables (L1, L2, etc.), and requires a run-time Lisp system to use the
compiled output.

However, the output is very efficient, assuming you make liberal use of type
declarations. For example, a convolution routine I wrote was within 15% of a
simple handcoded C routine, and within 50% of a highly optimized C routine.

One of the difficulties in a Lisp-to-anything_else translator is the very large
number of functions in Lisp. All these must be emulated by the run-time system.
There is nothing difficult, in principle, in providing your own run-time system
(instead of KCL) to interface with your C-translated Lisp routines. KCL (all
source available, cheap) is very good at interfacing Lisp and C.

(DAVID (am I balanced) COGEN)
From: ······@ssc-vax.UUCP
In article <····@bnrmtv.UUCP>, ······@bnrmtv.UUCP (Mark Wagner) writes:

> If anyone knows of a common lisp to C translator I would
> appreciate e-mail describing it.  I realize that this sort

At AAAI in Seattle this year, a company called Sapiens Software described
a Lisp-to-C product in development. Their address is

Sapiens Software Corp.
PO Box 7720
Santa Cruz, CA 95061
(408)458-1990

I don't have any connection with these guys, this just looks like a
potentitally interesting product.
From: Jeff Dalton
In article <····@bnrmtv.UUCP>, ······@bnrmtv.UUCP (Mark Wagner) writes:

> If anyone knows of a common lisp to C translator I would
> appreciate e-mail describing it.  I realize that this sort

The Kyoto Common Lisp compiler compiles Lisp into C, but this may not
be quite what you have in mind: the C is rather low-level and has to
be run together with the rest of the KCL system (as a storage manager,
library, etc.).